Our chapter Convention is coming up soon! Before anything else, make sure you’ve signed up for DSA before the start of Convention to ensure your eligibility to vote and participate!
Here’s everything else you need to know ahead of it:
Important dates & deadlines
May 22nd: Proposals Due
- Submit your bylaw amendments, political resolutions, and electoral endorsements to email@example.com by May 22nd @ 11:59 PM
June 5th: Amendments to Proposals Due
- Submit any amendments to your comrades’ proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 5th @ 11:59 PM
Saturday, June 12th @ 12 PM CST
- State of the Chapter presentation
- Annual Treasurer’s Report
- Annual Membership Chair’s Report
- Candidate Statements, online voting period begins
See more about how to vote below. Our voting period is as follows:
- Online ballots will be accepted from the start of Convention (June 12th) until 12 PM on June 19th
- Physical ballots and election announcements will also be mailed out and will be accepted from the moment you receive one until 12 PM on June 19th
Saturday, June 19th @ 12 PM: Election Closes
- Winners will be announced to the membership via email and Slack
- At this time or before, a full agenda and Convention Packet will be distributed to the membership and will include all proposals that will be considered by the membership on the June 26th Convention Meeting.
June 26th: Consideration of Proposals
- Deliberate on and consider the proposals that have been submitted by the membership, as well as any amendments that have been submitted
If you have any questions, please let us know! We want to hear from you, and we want everyone to feel equipped and empowered to participate in this process. You can reach New Orleans DSA chapter leadership at email@example.com
Elections & Candidate statements
The following positions are up for election this year:
- Co-Chairs (2)
- Membership Chair
- Treasurer Trustee
- At-Large Council Members (2)
- Convention Delegates (9) and Alternates (2)
You can read more about each position here. This information will be made available on the paper and online ballots as well. When nominations for each position have been submitted, we will post candidate statements here.
How to vote
Members have two methods for voting in the elections. By default, everyone will be sent a physical ballot and notice of election via mail, which can be mailed back to our chapter office until June 19th. However, we will also be voting online using software called OpaVote.
If you elect to vote online, you’ll receive your ballot via email right before Convention starts, and periodic reminders to vote throughout the week.
We have prepared some information about using OpaVote, as well an explainer about our vote counting method:
If you have any questions, please email us!
Thanks & Solidarity,
The 2021 Convention Planning Working Group
New Orleans Democratic Socialists of America