The Democratic Socialists of America (DSA) is a national organization of socialists fighting to weaken the power of corporations and the rich, and strengthen the power of poor and working people.
We believe in expanding democracy where it exists and creating it where it doesn’t. We believe that government and resources should be brought under popular control for the benefit of all people and our communities, not to make profits for a few.
We organize to ensure all people have the freedom to thrive and fully control their social and economic destinies.
We currently have over 56,000 members nationwide, and their are hundreds of chapters like ours in communities across the nation.
To learn more about Democratic Socialism, check out the Q&A page from the national DSA website.
What does New Orleans DSA do?
The New Orleans chapter of DSA organizes locally with more than 250 members to build working class power in southeastern Louisiana.
– We build popular support for Medicare for All (free universal healthcare for everyone)
– We help workers organize and join unions to win dignity on the job
– We organize for environmental justice and a Green New Deal
– We campaign to get democratic socialists like Bernie Sanders and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez elected into office
– We fix brake lights for free every month and talk to neighbors about police and state violence
– We hold educational events, socials and forums about socialism and Louisiana history
– We make art, pamphlets and literature to help spread a socialist perspective on local and international issues
– We help start new DSA chapters across the Gulf Coast
– We work with coalition partners to expand our vision of a just city, country and world.
Where do I start?
All of our events are open to new members, but a good place to start is a social. These are casual events where you will have plenty of time to talk to organizers, learn about our work, and build community with us. Our socials kid friendly and always include a meal.
What are General Meetings?
We meet as a general membership every other month and everyone is welcome to attend. At these meetings we have short political education presentations, reports from our campaigns and projects, and other official chapter business. These meetings also include dinner and are family friendly!
Email email@example.com if you have any questions.